Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Getting Ready for Growing Season

As much as I love Winter with all the snow, I LOVE Spring too!

With Spring comes tulips, daffodils, snapdragons, trees covered with blooms, wildflowers covering the rock walls in my yard that only show up for this one special season. It also means it's time for planting!!

Don't know what bizarre-o gene that I have that makes me feel compelled to get back into my yard and work my hiney off raking pine needles, pulling weeds, planting flowers, pruning trees... but it is rearing it's ugly head again.

I'm attempting to start my garden this year from seeds. I've got these cool little seed pod things set up in my "Lounge" and they have contained within them the hopes of green beans, watermelon, cantelope, corn, carrots, tomatos, bell peppers, cauliflower, pumpkin, lettuce and zucchini. I only planted them this weekend and already there are signs of roots taking form.
It is very exciting.

And when I ran to COSTCO to pick up a few things, what did I see? An apple tree!! A beautiful baby apple tree that has not one, not two but FOUR different kinds of apples grafted to it. Honeycrisp, Lodi, Cortland and Wolf River. Never tasted any of them, but it sure is worth a shot. How cool is that?? Especially for under $15. I have the best memories of sitting in my yard or my grandparent's yard and eating avocados, oranges or tangerines until I was sick. I want my yard filled with blueberries, apples, pears and other yummies that my kids can snack on while they are playing too.

We are still a few months away from planting outdoors for the baby plants, but the tree is going outside pretty soon. I think I know where, but it involves Bob with a shovel. He won't like that so I have to butter him up.

Here is hoping for a bumper crop of goodies this summer!

3 comments:

Laura and the family said...

That s my intention to drop the flower seeds in our front yard--- I would love to see flowers blooming in our yard. Our yard is PLAIN and UGLY!!!

Mandee said...

my sil was telling me she just read somewhere that after the depression, a lot of people kept a garden- and that one year they produced so much food they had enough to feed 1/3 of the population of the US.

I think it's a great idea- we're going to try it this year! I'm hoping for a lot of zucchini!

Bob said...

You don't have to butter me up. It's still a small tree, but we better hurry it's growing fast.