Sunday, March 8, 2009

Can't Help It... I Need Them In My Life

It is part of my daily fix and has been for years and years. It is a habit going back to when I learned how to read. The bit of humor that starts a day. A little something to make you smile.

Of course, I'm talking about comics.

I love my comics. I don't get the paper, but since the Internet became so mainstream I've been checking out my favorite comic strips every morning. For Better or For Worse, Luann, 9 Chickweek Lane, Rose is Rose, Dilbert, Get Fuzzy....

I need them to help me start my day on a positive note. Sometimes the first smile of the day comes from reading about the antics of Garfield or an old Bloom County strip. I loved that strip. The only tattoo I ever seriously considered (besides the "Made in the USA" on my hindquarters) was one of Opus with that crazy fruit hat of his. In high school and college I was all into politics with a passion. Now, not so much. Thank goodness my common sense kept me from having a penguin on my ankle forever.

But I love comics. I enjoy buying a Sunday paper and flipping it straight to the comics and fighting over the pages with Katya like I used to do with my brother and my mom.

I think they are some of the best ways to get kids to learn a love of learning. An awesome way to do some reading without too much brain power having to be involved. After a long day, sometimes your brain just needs some candy. Other times, it is nice to see someone with an editorial cartoon sum up some of the world's most messed up situations with one picture. It helps to release some inner frustration or makes you feel like you are not alone in your opinion.

Whatever comic may be your personal favorite - I hope you get the chance to read it daily. The world is in a tailspin, the news is never happy, life can be a bit stressful so take two minutes and enjoy some escapism as good therapy. Try comics.com.

Afterall, laughter is the best medicine!

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

You are just very much like David who goes straight to comic strips whenever he gets any type of newspaper. Dylan and Ryan also love it, too. Doesn't that explain why you guys are related???