Tuesday, February 5, 2008

X Country Skiing

Well, Bob and I finally got ourselves on some cross country skiis and hit the snow! We had bought a Chariot chassis about a month or so ago from REI and had yet to try it out.

We got a half day rental for only $12 (such a deal) and headed out Skyliner Road which is just a hop skip and a jump from our house. Man was there some serious snow there! The residents that couldn't plow their way to their houses had left their cars on the street and some of them were covered with as much as three feet of snow. It's amazing what a few hundred feet of elevation does for snow levels.

Anyway, we did pretty good! We were out for almost three hours and we took turns pulling the kids in the sled, although I did a bit more than Bob since it was easier for me. Something about hips is such a help when you have to wear a belt thingie. It kept sliding down on Bob.

The weather couldn't have been more perfect and we saw three other people with Chariots like ours. Only one was a double though. The kids did fine and slept most of the way. They were bundled up and had a down blanket on top of them for added warmth. I even stuffed a few of those pocket warmers under their behinds and behind their backs because I really didn't want them getting cold.

I'm loving this new sport and I can't wait until Bob and I can go back! I won't go by myself yet because I stink at going down the slightest hill. The added weight provideds a bit too much momentum and I was picking up too much speed so I would make myself crash. I let Bob do that part since he had more control. I hadn't been on cross country skiis since I was 17.

It's way fun, great exercise and I highly recommend it! I want to try snowshoeing next.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the Chariot the one that can be switched to tires to be pulled behind a bike?

How was the weight when pulling it?

I planned to get my SIL into alpine skiing this year, but she ended up pregnant, so I'm waiting until next year. I'm not sure if it would be better to rent a baby thingy that holds 2 kids (they'd be 2.5 years and 8 or 9 months), or if we should each rent one and pull a kid. I supposed I could just make my daughter babysit, but diapers are her worst fear.

Deby said...

Yup, this is the one that converts to a jogger and a bike trailer. I plan on using it a lot during the spring on my bike so I can get around town more without a car.

Pulling it was not a big deal. I was expecting it to be harder, but I didn't have a problem with it and it was my first time on skiis in 21 years.

I would only put both kids in there if you thought the older one wouldn't take the babies paci or something. My daughter (2) likes to take things from my son (1).

Laura and the family said...

Clearly, you are one of the strong women I know! Sounds a good way to exercise while your kids also enjoy the same.

Wish I was there, too!

Heather said...

How fun! All I can say is "mush!"

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Laura may want to be there but NOT ME! Yuck, cold and wet. Nose runs, fingers get numb, its hard to find a good place to go to the bathroon without contributing to global warming.

Mandee said...

Somehow, you totally made that look like fun!

Laura and the family said...

Perhaps, you and I can do the dogsled with kids on it and say "mush" while Cathy can listen to the radio in a warm cabin, being spoiled.. and then come out to cheer for us at the end of the race!