Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sleep Deprived Mama

My little Logan has some kind of internal clock that requires him to fuss, cry, cough or do something that wakes him up between 2 and 3am almost every single morning. For him to sleep through the night is a rare, rare thing. This has been since birth.

This morning, I was in a HARD CORE deep sleep with a really vivid dream about "something" at 2:30am that I can't recall now, but after he woke me up I have stayed up. I tossed and turned and eventually almost drove Bob to the couch but I decided to relent and just get up, take a shower and start my day a mere 3 hours earlier than normal. I am going to die today.

It is one of my long work days, so not making up some sleep time while they nap.

When Logan was an infant my mom read an article that some French women had said that raising sons was harder than daughters. In many respects, boys are way easier than girls. But in terms of sleeping and being so darn "needy", they definately take the cake. Little girls will give you sass and attitude (at least the ones genetically related to me), but they sleep and like their independance.

So, as the rest of the house sleeps I sit here and type. I have lunches made, vitamins set out, notes written to Katya and Bob, checks cut for the company, and my car packed for work. I am merely waiting for the magic 4:30am hour when I can go to Starbucks and get myself a Venti Caramel Machaito or Vanilla Latte. Maybe both with how I feel right now.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

Deby... so, so, so sad for you today.

So far, Max and Charlie have both gone through phases around the ages of 2-3 (and still occasionally for Charlie) where they would have night terrors- wake up screaming and/or crying in the middle of the night.

I asked my pediatrician about it, and she suggested waking them up- but not totally waking them up- before I went to bed for the night. Thinking this might disrupt the pattern.

Honestly, I never tried it. But if you're desperate, it's something to think about.

I hope you survive today!

Laura and the family said...

OH Deby, I remember those days with my sons, especially Ryan. He would come and sneak my room every single night until last summer ( look, he is almost seven.)

Then, I had to make him go back to his bed (that was my push) so often (even if I had to put him back to bed two or three times per night) until he gets the pictures that he is to STAY in his bed!

But Dylan was on the opposite, he would wake me up at 5:00 or 5:30 AM to greet me with a HUGE smile. Even now on Saturday or Sunday, he would wake up before us!

Hang in there!